Like every great story, it started with an engagement ring dropped in the dirt at midnight.
or maybe that's just how my stories tend to go...
Hey pal! I'm Sharon...
The creative brains + messy heart behind The Bare Bride. I like feeling free + getting my hands dirty.
...and that's Jake, my guy.
He's basically Arthur the Aardvark mixed with Luke Daines (minus the grumpiness + balding). I'm in love with him.
We got engaged on July 4, 2014.
And yes, in the midst of the heart-racing and tear-filled eyes, the ring was dropped in the handoff. Panic commenced and iPhone flashlights got involved. It was a mess. But on that warm summer night in that field under those stars with that song in the background... it was our mess. And we wouldn't have had it any other way.
(BTW...we found the ring...all is well.)
But the dropping of the ring was just a taste of the mess to come.
I went into our engagement wide-eyed and ready for the romance + magic that supposedly comes when you get engaged.
But not everything played out like I'd hoped. While I expected a bit of the mess that comes with life, I did not expect:
- The relentless stress that comes with planning it all
- The consequential weight gain + insecurity
- The selfish requests from others
- The painfully unsupportive friends
- The never-ending issue of not having enough money
- The consuming nature of weddings + materialism
- The sexist wedding culture that minimized my role as a bride to my ability to plan an event + look good in a dress
What was supposed to be a sacred celebration of our hearts and our love story, quickly turned into a heartbreaking season of loss, confusion, and disappointment.
It didn't take long to realize that 'that way' of being a bride was not working for me.
I craved to be known for more than my color schemes and centerpieces.
I wanted to take back the control within relationships and scenarios where I felt powerless.
I longed to invest more time, energy, and money into my future marriage than planning a one-day event.
I needed my heart to matter most.
So after searching for depth and meaning
in a bridal culture that goes about as deep as
one layer of pink tulle
and coming up empty handed,
I said, "ehhh screw it"
and decided to just go my own way...
THE WAY OF THE HEART.
The Bare Bride is my invitation to you,
the bride who is tired and stressed and aching for more, to join me in the daring pursuit of an engagement that is defined by the most wildly bridal thing of all:
I launched The Bare Bride in January 2016 to help women like you redefine what it means to be a bride by giving you the heart-centered tools and support that you need to focus on the things that matter most:
- Your emotional, mental, and physical health
- Dreams and goals that surpass the wedding day
- Relationships with friends + family
- The bond between you and your future spouse
- Your sacred relationship with yourself
- A wedding day that honors and reflects all of those things
The Bare Bride exists to fortify the fact that it is what's under the dress that needs to be sought after, discussed, and treasured the most. (Not the hoo-ha! THE HEART, ya nasty!)